Outside of being way more enjoyable, a picnic is also a way more financially viable way to catch up with friends than the traditional cafe, restaurant and/or meet up at the local.
Here are some reasons I could think of as to why they are better and will save you money, I am sure there are plenty more so let me know if I have missed anything.
- Lower Cost: When you have a picnic, you can purchase food at a grocery store or market, which is often cheaper than dining out. For example, a loaf of bread, some deli meats and cheeses, and a variety of fruits and vegetables can make for a delicious and satisfying meal that costs less than ordering entrees at a restaurant. Additionally, you can plan ahead and take advantage of sales and discounts at the grocery store to save even more.
- Preparation is Fun: Some of my most adventurous and absolute tastiest meals I have eaten has been at a picnic where everyone brings a plate. This is especially true when it comes to picnics with friends where everyone brings a "plus one" and so you get to meet and eat a lot of food that you have never had before.
- BYOB: Bring your own beverages, like wine or beer, can save you a lot of money compared to ordering drinks at a restaurant. Alcohol is often one of the most expensive items on a restaurant menu, and by bringing your own, you can save a significant amount of money.
- Family-Friendly: Picnics are great for families with kids, as they can run around and enjoy the outdoors while parents can relax and enjoy the food. Restaurants can be more restrictive with kids and may have higher prices for children's meals, which can add up quickly if you're dining out with a large group.
- Fun in the Sun: Picnics are also a great way to enjoy the outdoors and the beautiful weather. Dining out at a restaurant doesn't always offer this type of experience, and many outdoor activities like hiking or visiting a park can be done before or after the picnic, making it a more versatile and fun way to spend time with friends or family.
- Variety of Options: With a picnic, you have the option to choose a variety of food options, like sandwiches, salads, fruits, and desserts, and everyone can customise their own meal. Restaurants often have limited options, or a theme that not everyone will like, so some people may ultimately have to compromise on what they want to eat.
- Personal Touch: Having a picnic with friends gives you the opportunity to add personal touches like table settings, music and games, making the experience more memorable and enjoyable.
Overall, a picnic with friends is a great way to enjoy a meal together and save some money in the process. It also allows for more creative options, personal touch and the flexibility to enjoy the beautiful weather, which a restaurant may not offer.
So, next time you're thinking about meeting friends for a meal, consider a picnic instead of a restaurant, cafe or bar ... you will not only save money but it will be a way more memorable experience.